Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Oh Yeah, Oh yeahhhhhhhhhh!

This weekend, while I should have been hiding in the corner of a library somewhere getting some much needed study done, I went to one of the best gigs I've been to in a while: The Subways.

Doors opened at 7.30pm and it was held in The Academy in Dublin. Tickets were only €14 too! I received mine as a Christmas pressie so I was delighted as they are one of my favourite bands.

After a few sneaky drinks I entered the venue at around 8pm with my friends and boyfriend. We ran upstairs to be greeted by the opening act which were an Irish bands called The Funeral Suits. These lads are a four-piece band with some heavily distorted guitars mixed with electronica at times. Some catchy tunes led to some serious moves by us four and I even bought a T-Shirt later on that night!

There was a brief intermission and then the atmosphere changed. The minute the band stepped on stage the people in the crowd just started going mental. Frontman Billy, had a look of pure joy on his face as they start strumming the first tune! We wormed our way to the front of the intimate gig and just in time too, as mosh pits started from one end of the venue to the other. It was like we, the people, were their batteries because the louder, messier and out of control the crowd got the more energy the band got!

This was by no means a laid back, chilled gig to attend! It was high energy and manic all the way through! He referred to Dublin as being "fucking mental" countless times throughout the night. Not only did the crowd love to give him buckets of desired attention but they were chanting for Charlotte and Josh!

The climax was when Billy climbed onto the railings above and nosedived into the crowd! It honestly was one of the best gigs I have ever been to. They made you feel like it was a couple of your mates up there playing a set due to the relaxed security, small setting and the fact that I was so close didn't hurt either.
I was jumping around like a maniac for the whole night; headbanging and all sorts. I was even lucky enough to catch the drumstick at the end of the night.




To me that sounds like all the best ingredients for a successful gig!

No comments:

Post a Comment